Monday, June 25, 2012

Day 12, June 21st -


The internet connection sucks here so I can't add photos right now.  I will add them ASAP when I have some time and reliable internet!

Day 12, Thursday June 21

Today I spent the day in the pottery compound again, so there isn’t much to write about that.  However, the afternoon lecture at the pottery compound was very interesting. 

There were 3 stations that we worked through, each featuring a different types of pottery.  I started at Robin’s station, which dealt with Roman period pottery.  She showed us how the origin of certain pieces can be determined, and how there are several different kinds of ERF (early roman fineware) pottery.  It is nice pottery, like what we would consider fine china today.  It was not stuff that would have been used by the emperor, or someone at the top of the food chain (so-to speak) but nevertheless, it was nice stuff.  Based on certain aspects of the pottery, the region that it came from can be determined.  The Eastern ERF is not as nice but was probably cheaper.  Eventually, this method of production was phased out. 
One of the other interesting things that Robin showed us was the Roman oil lamps.  They are really quite beautiful.  The one that I have inserted a picture of has a squid on it, while other lamps have different animals and in some cases, erotic imagery. 

Tracy taught us a bit more about the different types of Islamic pottery that are found.  There are several different styles that can be seen and they are really quite beautiful.  The glazing process changed over time and the way that the glaze was used changed as well.  At first, the designs were haphazard splashes of color but over time they started to make intricate designs, although usually not depicting living beings (people, animals or very obvious plants).  Instead, there are some faunal designs and the use of different kinds of lines is quite common.  I have put in some pictures of the different kinds of pottery that we see from the Islamic period.

I found it really interesting how the fabric changed over time.  Because of the connection to the Asiatic trade routes, porcelain from China was making its way over to the region.  It was created using different clays and soils than those which are found here, but it was envied throughout the region.  In response to the demand for this high quality pottery coming out of Asia, the people of Ashkelon tried to improve the pottery that they produced.  They never achieved the same level of quality as the porcelain, but upon examining the pottery evidence from the Islamic time period, we can see how they changed the materials, the fabric, and the glaze process to try and improve their crafts. 

My favorite piece was very small.  It was beautiful blue and white piece that sparkled a bit when you shifted it in the sun.  It was absolutely stunning.  I wish I remembered more to say about what we learned, but because I have not been in the field it was a lot of new information for me and I didn’t really take notes because the lecture was at the pottery compound and I had forgotten to bring my notebook L  I am really hoping that I can have someone do a quick run-through with me sometime soon so I can get right back in the game when I’m ready! 

No comments:

Post a Comment